20 v blacktop swap ..need ecu option advice

phanist
Club4AG Expert

20 v blacktop swap ..need ecu option advice

Postby phanist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 am

hi guy
so im in middle of my 20v blacktop swap.. and stock between running COP or relocate Dizzy to the front..
i have both setup in hand....
i lik ehow the COP option give a nice clean look.. but some one told me that running COP with stock blacktop edu will mess up my engine,..
so far i have a complete rebuilt ..with new tomei pon cam , new vavle new spring new oil pump gear. so i really dont want this engine to get mess up too soon.
so i intend to use the dizzy relocate option for the moment..
but in the feature i want to run cop ... what would be a good or better ecu to use?. and where to get them? and of course tuning it? i dont have any idea how to tune an edu...
please help me complete this swap.. mNY Thank..

rollacpe
Club4AG Regular

Re: 20 v blacktop swap ..need ecu option advice

Postby rollacpe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Blacktop AT ECU, for the higher rev limit. I dont know who told you that using COP's would ruin your engine but that is a load of crap. Plenty of guys using them with no issues, myself included. I would recommend using Honda D17 coils from 02-05 civic and I do recommend using the Honda OEM ones although some aftermarket ones do work. The Honda ones are of superior quality. It is also a tad difficult to source the 3pin connectors for the COP's. In the end a clean wiring job combined with quality parts is going to give you a superior spark set-up to the dizzy relocation, no question about it.

Now if you want get best power out of your cams I would recommend going to a haltech or something similar, as generous gains are available. Otherwise it should run fine on the BT ECU, maybe with a adjustable FPR???

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:18 am

thank you ... so haltech ...?

DatGuy217

Postby DatGuy217 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 am

Poncam was design to work best with the stock ecu

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:16 pm

thank you for the info.. appreciated
good info

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Actually i told him that and yes although a lot of people have used them successfully and without issue , the way they operate can fry your electrical system or burn out a capacitor in your ecu...haltech ecus on the blacktop is crap..people are having a hard time getting their vvt controller to work properly, theres no blacktop maps available so u will have to start from scratch and u will need a custom harness and possibly sensors if the ecu wont work with the factory sensors...i already told u what ecu to use, simple, cheap, works with all the stock sensors and its proven...but you dont have to listen to me if u want to waste your money....my engine doesnt make 250hp off of bad advice !
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

rollacpe
Club4AG Regular

Postby rollacpe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Gaijin,

I'd really like to know more about the issues you speak of regarding the cop's, I haven't heard anything negative other than the coil packs themselves potentially failing prematurely due to firing 2x's more often than normal, and the coil itself being a minor hazard while under the hood with the engine running. I capped mine with a large rubber plug and it hasn't been a problem at all. Maybe I'm lucky but hey if that's the case I'll take it!

It looks like the adaptronic you used in your build comes in at over a grand brand new, I got my BT ecu for less than $200, there is a big difference there. I'd love to have your whole set-up over mine for sure but I can only do what I could do. I don't want to spread bad advice, so if there is something I don't know I'm gonna ask about it.

luozhirong
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby luozhirong » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 am

i have a ms1 that comes with laptop, wideband , crank trigger wheel for sale..

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 am

thank you.. but im sticking to my stock 20v edu. for now