Binding airmix cable, broken climate control

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Binding airmix cable, broken climate control

Postby Tora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:39 pm

So, my air-mix cable has siezed, and forcing the hot/cold switch caused the back bracket of my climate control to break. I ordered a new heater valve cable and installed it, I have a new climate control ready to go, but the airmix cable is not available through Toyota. I've ordered a newer version of the cable, part number per the sugguestion of http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=6700 but it appears that he lost the cable before he could install it. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this? Given how cheap the cables are, I'd be amazed if anyone hasn't experienced problems with their climate control yet.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: Binding airmix cable, broken climate control

Postby grappletech » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 pm

I ordered one also, never had the time to use it though. I also like to use things until its completely broken.

someone has to have done this.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

BlackStar
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BlackStar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 am

I took my cables and drowned them in WD40, mainly soaking and moving the metal rod in the plastic seeth(or whatever it is called). YMMV

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 am

I fixed it yesterday! Not the most difficult project.

1. Order the cable 55909-35030 from Toyota.

2. Cut off the white mounting plastic and make the notches deeper, as shown by Jeff Lange:

3. Drill the cable hole a bit bigger (quite a bit, actually), maneuver the cable into position.

4. Reassemble your under-dash.

BoRoYaSui
Club4AG Expert

Postby BoRoYaSui » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 pm

The climate controls prone to break. After they brake i fixed them with epoxy and glue in some supports in the weak spots. It makes to whole thing feel less sloppy too.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Yea, you want to change or lube your cables BEFORE they break your climate control's cheap plastic. Mine was irreparable:

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:52 am

Someone needs to CNC a new climate control unit. I'd buy it. I have had it break on me 3 times already.. I gave up after the 3rd time.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Did you change the lines out when you replaced the climate control? My airmix cable is smooth as silk after this upgrade. I have a new heater valve cable on there, but I'm starting to worry about the condition of the valve itself, so it's next on my list.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 pm

If you're going to stick with the stock cables you should work some WD-40 into them. Spray some WD-40 into one end then move the cable a bit.

But what I found made the most difference was to lubricate the heater valve under the hood (I'd also shoot some WD-40 into the cable). At that point the airmix lever on the climate control unit worked very smoothly :) This was about a year ago; I need to lubricate the heater valve and cable again.

Now that I have a spare climate control unit, I've been thinking of repairing it and swapping all the cables with updated ones. Just measure them and then hunt in a junkyard for them (I believe Jeff Lange's post gave some more info on what Toyota years / models used this updated cable).