HELP! Leaking rear oil gallery plug

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

HELP! Leaking rear oil gallery plug

Postby cliqwe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Hello all,
As the title states, I believe the oil gallery plug on the back of the block is leaking....engine was rebuilt, car runs fine but noticed oil from the bottom of the bellhousing. Upon further inspection, I found oil on the engine side of the stiffener plate that was dripping down to the bottom bellhousing as well. Checked the rear main seal and it was dry, valve covers are dry as well. Is there any other possible place for oil to leak from the back of the block??? The leak is minor and the only somewhat obvious place I found oil was the oil galley plug hole and on the plug, then leaking down from there. Is this a likely spot for an oil leak? I've taken the tranny out twice (originally I thought it was gear oil for the tranny) and applied rtv once and high temp thread sealant second to the plug, but both times it has leaked....getting pretty frustrated. Anyone know what else I can try to keep it from leaking???

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: HELP! Leaking rear oil gallery plug

Postby BakaBaka » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:46 am

The only place I know of that would leak oil from the rear of shortblock is either the rear main seal (which is the common culprit most of the time) and the rear oil retainer (the aluminum piece that has 6 bolts and also where the rear main seal goes into). As far as I know, there are no oil plugs on the back of the block. Those plugs you see are coolant plugs, I'm pretty positive of that but don't quote me on it.

As always, and I'm sure you've probably done this already... trace where the oil is coming from. Finding an oil leak is a easy job thanks to gravity.. just trace up to find the source, when you see it.. stop there and then start scratching your head about it.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:40 am

Pics would help. BakaBaka is right, no oil galley plugs at the back.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:22 am

Really??? oh dang, I feel retarded....ok, if I go back in I'll take some pics.... Is it likely that there would be a crack in the block?
Ive traced it twice now but it's really obscure for some reason, everywhere I feel around seems to be dry except for this one spot.

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 am

There is a threaded in plug in the rear of the oil gallery above the rear seal.
If it is leaking take out the plug with an allen key (8mm iirc) and use hydraulic sealer and thread it back in.

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks, I'll double check and if It looks like this is still the culprit I'll give it a shot