Cheap bucket seat harness question

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Cheap bucket seat harness question

Postby daveskatesallday » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 am

So I know many people always go back and forth about real vs fake bucket seats, FIA approved and all of that

BUT i started thinking does this apply to seatbelt harnesses ? wanted to purchase a cheap 4-way harness but never heard bad things about the really cheap ones, any info is appreciated !
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: Cheap bucket seat harness question

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 am

Buying safety equipment that is unsafe defeats the purpose. Just because a piece of safety equipment doesn't have a certification doesnt necessarily mean it is unsafe, but do you really want to find out the hard way that something is unsafe? PS, if you don't have a rollbar in your car, you should not run a 4, 5 or 6 point harness. If you go on your roof, the roof will crush in and crush you too, since you are strapped to the seat and can't move. If you have a single shoulder belt, you have some chance of leaning toward the center console and surviving.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:45 am

Seat belts are far more concern than seats.
In an accident the stresses that the seat sees are generally very minimal. It is the seat belt that is absorbing the inertia of you and the seat trying to continue forward as the rest of the car stops.
I have no problem running cheapo seats in my street car. I would never run cheapo seatbelts in any car.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:09 pm

thanks just wanted to make sure

any brand suggestions??
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 am

Sparco, Takata, Revolution, TRS etc. I have Driftworks TRS harnesses and they're awesome.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 am

Autopower makes nice stuff and they are reasonably priced. They have a nice cam-lock system and they offer models with eye mounts so you can use the normal road seatbelt on the road and clip in the harness for track use.

kuroki86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kuroki86 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 pm

crow makes super cheap harnesses, they're made for offroad but my friends and i all use em in our drift cars, theyre like 60 bucks.

Autohaus_Z
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autohaus_Z » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Schroth has some that are street legal. http://www.soloracer.com/rallyecross.html I run these and like them alot.
Owner. CM Autohaus LLC. San Jose, CA.
RnD/Product Testing. Battle Garage RS/Annex Suspension Group
Amsoil Dealer # 5615215
IG @Autohaus_Z for AE86 fun, T50 trans builds, and track life!
The Autohaus Podcast

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 pm

cool thanks for the input, well looks like i have a sparco 4-point harness

AZNWOKZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AZNWOKZ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

Schroth Rallye 3 or 4 point seat belts are well worth it. I personal recommend getting a professional install them as they might have to custom mount them for the correct mount points.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am

AZNWOKZ wrote:Schroth Rallye 3 or 4 point seat belts are well worth it. I personal recommend getting a professional install them as they might have to custom mount them for the correct mount points.

I got a corbeau seat harness it was easy to install had to make it work but i got it going