Oil Catch Can

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Oil Catch Can

Postby RLZ » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi guys, im looking to get an oil catch can for my corolla, do you guys know which one to get or whatever it does the same work? Please give me some suggests thank you!

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Re: Oil Catch Can

Postby carbd7age » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:50 pm

With no electronics or moving parts, I think it's hard to justify buying a super expensive JDM-ohmygoodness/mad tyte yo catch can. I have a $21 joint off eBay and it works every bit as well as a name brand piece. Heck you could very easily make your own out of whatever bottle you have laying around the house.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 pm

carbd7age wrote:With no electronics or moving parts, I think it's hard to justify buying a super expensive JDM-ohmygoodness/mad tyte yo catch can. I have a $21 joint off eBay and it works every bit as well as a name brand piece. Heck you could very easily make your own out of whatever bottle you have laying around the house.

Hi, there are a lot on craigslist like godspeed only $25-$40, cuscos are around $100, so they are do the samthing?

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 am

Yep. It's basically a bottle with a vent. I mean sure super fancy ones have internal baffles and a K&N filter. But so what? It acts as a vent for the crankcase while collecting any oil vapor and allowing it to settle in a cup. The cheap one I got has a drain plug and a sight tube on the side to check the level. I had a small breather filter laying around so I put that on one side, then I ran some silicone hose to the valve covers.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:50 am

The problem with catch cans is most of them are just an empty can with an inlet/outlet - often right next to each other - and no baffling, filter, etc. to catch the crankcase vapor. This means most of the vapor will go in and right out of the can if you keep a closed system and route it back to the intake.

An air/oil separator usually refers to a catch can that has some type of internal baffling, etc. to help catch the vapor. Even the best won't catch everything, but that doesn't mean they're all created equal.

If you plan on venting the crankcase to the atmosphere it doesn't matter what type of can you use.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 am

thank you for the replies guys, can I delete the hose which is going back to the intake? will that effect the performance or gas mileage and smog? thanks!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:59 am

Venting the crankcase to the atmosphere is not smog compliant.

Performance is debatable. My thinking is that it's negligible either way on a tired low output engine like most 4age's. In theory your seals might not last quite as long and oil should be changed more often. I definitely wouldn't recommend it on a new or freshly rebuilt engine.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 am

I have always wanted to see someone try a small oil cooler or intercooler or something like that. The biggest things you would be looking for is a large area where velocity slows down as much as possible with as much surface area as possible for the oil particles to collect on. The cooler the surface the better to help the oil want to stick to the surface. I can't imagine anything that would work better.

It will have zero effect on performance or gas mileage but it does contribute significantly to emissions if you vent to atmos.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:05 am

^I have a feeling it would get gummed up from congealed crankcase vapor during colder weather, especially if the engine doesn't see operating temp. long.