Jubiride Monocoque bar 3 point

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Jubiride Monocoque bar 3 point

Postby The Bloody Panda » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 pm

jondee86

Re: Jubiride Monocoque bar 3 point

Postby jondee86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Yes, a bit difficult to visualise. The 3-point brace is designed to resist chassis
twisting, and the 4-point brace is designed to resist lateral deformation of the
rear of the car. Given their bolted construction, it is likely that they would only
start to show any benefit under extreme loading i.e. serious race conditions.
And in that case, I would be trusting my safety to a proper welded cage,
rather than skinny, bling bolt-ons.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Zissou
Club4AG Regular

Postby Zissou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 am

Only thing that bar is going to do is prevent the rear firewall and where it bolts to the floor from getting closer together, the only gain in rigidity is provided by trying to crush a bar straight onto itself. As Jondee said, all mounting points are hinged, and if you were getting any deflection in this direction I'd have to believe your rear windows would pop out before these bars did anything.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 am

Yeah, the hinged points make this look especially worthless to me. I'll save my money for something else. On the same note, what do you guys think of the front Cusco oval shape strut brace? And how about the rear Cusco oval shape strut brace with the add on oval shape tri-point?

http://slpery.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/imag2451.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/download/rear-cusco-tri-bar/id/2211.jpg

Neither of these cars are mine.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am

^I like the oval front bar due to the strength. A one piece unit would be best but anything up front is better than nothing imo. FWIW one can easily flex the smaller round aluminum front strut bars by hand when installed :/

IMO the Cusco rear bar - like most - is a waste but others will disagree. I actually think that Jubiride upper rear bar would do better than the cusco one, but that doesn't say much lol.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am

Oh dear double post....

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 am

Yeah, I'm concerned about the hingedness of the Cusco bars, but other than that I feel like they're good additions.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 am

I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much considering most strut bars are hinged and they work. I would be more concerned with having to drill holes for every mount point, and that the drilled holes are on areas of the chassis which aren't reinforced; the metal is really thin and flimsy. Further, consider how the rear suspension works and how the bar is mounted.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:58 am

Very good points, I see why the rear strut brace could be considered ineffective. The metal that it mounts to is pretty flimsy. I've got a 6 point Cusco cage, but it also just bolts to the flimsy metal back there. Do you know of a good rear bolt on brace?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

Don't get me wrong it probably does something, but it's likely negligible.

The cage is a better route even though it's bolted in. I've never been a fan of using the rear wheel wells for mount points, but regardless it will help keep the roof from caving should a rollover occur.

AMT tri bar was the best available imo.

by Deuce Cam
It bolted to existing reinforced seat anchor mount points up top, and to the floor cross brace which required holes to be drilled. It really worked, but even it wasn't perfect because the upper mounts are stronger than the floor (even the raised cross brace inside the car). I removed the bar after having it a few months and noticed the metal on the floor cross brace where it was bolted to was a little warped.