4AC Choke Problem/Question

NPNK
Club4AG Regular

4AC Choke Problem/Question

Postby NPNK » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 am

I just purchased a 1986 SR5. Car has only 84K on it and is very clean. The PO threw in a carb rebuild kit with the deal. Pulled the carb out over the weekend and rebuilt it. The carb was sucking air from underneath itself. There wasn't really a gasket left between the shield and the carb. Anyway, replaced all the gaskets and parts and sealed evertything back up. I was sure the car was going to run great after getting everything hooked back up. Started the car and it started right up. Idle was way better than before but still not great. I have narrowed the problem down to the Auto-Choke. The Choke is not working. When the car is idling, I can manually adjust the choke butterfly and lean the idle out to near perfection. Any ideas on how to replace the choke or make it work. Please let me know. Thank you!

EurobeatJester
Club4AG Regular

Re: 4AC Choke Problem/Question

Postby EurobeatJester » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:54 am

Is the choke getting power?

NPNK
Club4AG Regular

Postby NPNK » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 am

The two harnesses coming off the carb are all wired up so I'm assuming so. How do you suggest I find out? Voltage meter?

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:12 pm

yeah volt meter
when car is cold is flap closed.... then gradually opens
choke coil housing should get a lil warm also
make that little rod linkage from the choke housing shaft is connected to the stepped throttle cam