Cusco oil catch can

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Cusco oil catch can

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I was looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Cusco-O ... e6&vxp=mtr

Does anyone have one of these, or had one in the past? Where do these mount? (assuming you have a completely stock engine bay)

I think that is the same can mounted in front of the radiator. I also have a condenser, but I think there *should* still be enough room there.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Re: Cusco oil catch can

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:48 am

Mine is on the passenger side shock tower. You could install it there as well, but will have to run a longer tube if you dont have ITBs. You could run it under the intake after the filter.

Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:39 am

It will work better with the inlet/outlet mounted above the valve cover especially on a vta setup. Additionally, mounting the can as close as possible to the valve cover breather to minimize the length of hose involved will also help it work better. Think path of least resistance.

If you plan on routing the can back to the intake you may want to consider an air/oil separator or a catch can with internal baffling. The item in the above link is a standard catch can that is completely empty which doesn't work well on closed systems.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I'd also fashion up some sort of drain on it. Unless there is more than one version of it, there is no easy way to drain it. I was thinking about buying a brass fitting with a valve and tapping a hole in the bottom so that I can easily empty mine.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:It will work better with the inlet/outlet mounted above the valve cover especially on a vta setup. Additionally, mounting the can as close as possible to the valve cover breather to minimize the length of hose involved will also help it work better. Think path of least resistance.

If you plan on routing the can back to the intake you may want to consider an air/oil separator or a catch can with internal baffling. The item in the above link is a standard catch can that is completely empty which doesn't work well on closed systems.

Oh this doesn't have anything inside to separate the oil? Hmm... do you know of a decent can that does?
I just cleaned the entire intake system and manifold, so I do want a quality catch can.

Maybe I'll just save up for this: http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baff ... h-can.html

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that something will always get past the can, a/o seperator, etc. when rerouting to the intake. Some will work better than others. Another thing to keep in mind is the pcv and oil system leaves a lot to be desired on the big port engines. Hard left turns under racing conditions can cause lots of oil to get pushed out of the valve cover breather. An air/oil separator won't work if it's overwhelmed or overfilled with oil

Having said that there's a bunch of different options available, although I haven't actually tried any of them. For the money the universal large body moroso air/oil separator will be hard to beat. I also like the design of the universal cusco air oil separator. Custom would be best since there seems to be a compromise with everyone I've seen. The Mishi unit looks pretty good. The bronze internal filter is the big ???? for me. I'm not familiar with them. My main concerns are are that it could deteriorate or cause a restriction - all speculation though.