Height adjustable rear spring seat options

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Height adjustable rear spring seat options

Postby The Bloody Panda » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other options besides the AJPS height adjustable rear spring seats?

http://www.ajps.com.au/parts/spring_seat.php

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: Height adjustable rear spring seat options

Postby totta crolla » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:44 am

BC will sell their rear height adjusters separately but check the spring diameters as some of these types of spring mounts use bespoke springs.

BlueDeathTrap
Club4AG Regular

Postby BlueDeathTrap » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:12 pm

If you're handy and don't mind taking a handful of measurements, most of the Datsun guys as well as a prominent supplier of parts for older Japanese tin (who will remain unnamed) just use tube clamps on the bottoms of the rear shocks as a mount for standard coilover conversion sleeves. Depending on the height of the tube clamp, you can get serious strength with little chance of losing grip and dropping the sleeve, and it allows for proper height adjustment. I'll be running it until I go with another suspension setup, most likely with GC sleeves and Eibach springs (or possibly Afco or the like, depends on who will give me proper matched and tested springs for the lowest price). Only thing you really need to watch out for is reinforcing the factory shock mount and the upper mounting area, as both have been known to fail on occasion due to increased loads. You will need an upper hat to space the spring out from the shock well, and clamps can be found on McMaster Carr for a very reasonable price.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm

I would have went coilovers in the rear originally had it not been for the reinforcement issue with the shock mounts since I can't weld. Thank you very much for all the information though. Hopefully someone else will be able to put it to use. I just need some of those height adjustable spring seats and I'll be in business with my beautiful Tein.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

Are the tein springs typical short stroke length, i.e. similar to TRD/Swift?

If so the ride height will be really high if you add adjustable spring seats.

Coilover kits that come with adjustable rear spring seats (Greddy, BC, Megan, etc.) all have special short springs to compensate for the added height of the spring seat.

AJPS sells the special short springs to suit an adjustable seat/perch. Also, every once in a while someone sells only the rear half of the aforementioned kits in the classifieds. Patience could net matching adjustable seats and springs in one shot.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Well I've decided to cut the Tein springs since they're linear. If that doesn't work out for me I'll end up buying springs and adjustable seats off of AJPS or something.