1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged Restoration

AIRWOLF
Club4AG Regular

Re: 1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged Restoration

Postby AIRWOLF » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 am

I don't know how many times I've heard people on the C4AG say the windshield mouldings discontinued but then I see you bought some.

Can you still source these? Also, are REDLINES (Center) garnish piece really discontinued?

Wonderful build and what a true testament to "keeping it in the family". :)
UCSB Alum

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:51 am

The upper windshield moulding is readily available, the side ones are discontinued for North American-spec. Japanese ones are different and not a direct fit (I had to trim them to clear the bottom moulding), but if you want to try them you'd need to order them from overseas and have them shipped in. I've never checked on redlines before, since I don't have a hatch, but from all I've heard, yes it is discontinued. I'm sure there is still some stock left from some people in Japan, but I wouldn't know who, haha.

Jeff

Jsmith818

Postby Jsmith818 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Whats the name of those wheels ?

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:48 pm

They don't really have a name, but I think most people would call them Intras, they were made for Toyota by Intra in Germany.

Jeff

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Tue May 19, 2015 9:56 pm

So, it's been a while, last year I ended up driving the car a bit, I had all of my TRD bushings installed front and rear, as well as my TRD 2-way LSD. Taking out the RH rear axle proved to be quite the challenge, even by AE86 rear axle standards. I ended up removing the axle housing from the car and having a couple of techs at work go at it for a few hours with a bigger slide hammer. Eventually it came out, but not without some collateral damage (more on that later):

After doing some driving with it, I also determined that the front-mount intercooler is way too much piping between the throttle body and the intake manifold. I feel the best way to fix this is an air/water intercooler setup. It keeps the piping short, and allows me to customize the water lines without having to cut any holes in the body, and also allowing me to run complete factory under covers. I have the core, water pump and water reservoir, just need to get a heat exchanger and have it all fabricated.

Even after replacing my brake master cylinder, all my hoses (with stainless braided), rebuilding all the calipers and replacing pads and rotors all around, I am still a bit unhappy with the braking performance, so I have ordered a set of Endless SS-Y front and rear brake pads. They haven't arrived yet, but I do have a new set of front and rear shims for them. I ordered in a set of Japan-spec shims, as they use a shim on the inner and outer pad as opposed to just the outer on the North-American cars.

Took it out early this year for its first drive, still a bit too much gravel on the road, but I was very careful. ;)

I also parked beside an Echo and enjoyed how much smaller (mainly shorter) my car was compared to the much newer "economy" car.

I also spent some time doing a 3-stage polish and wax on the paint. There were a few areas that had some hazing due to wetsanding dust nibs, and I wanted to take care of it. Just by hand, but it turned out extremely well, I think. The lighting wasn't the greatest when I took the pictures though.

There are a couple of remnants on the car from when I was young and poor, notably the outer tie rods which are aftermarket. Also when switching to the manual steering in the car, the new rack came with aftermarket inner tie rods and boots. Last time I was under the car I decided that was enough and ordered new inner and outers. I've also got a clunk in my steering when parked, though it has persisted through changing the rack, the inner and outer tie rods, the lower u-joint and the intermediate shaft, so I'm pretty sure it is either the upper joint or one of the bearings/thrust stoppers in the upper column. I will find it and fix it, but for now, new tie rods.

I spent the better part of the last six weeks trying to find all the vibrations I am feeling in the car, and found that my center support bearing was worn, as is the rear extension housing bushing on my T50 transmission. I replaced the support bearing and plan on replacing the bushing as well, though in the course of doing this inspection I also determined that not one, but both of my rear axle flanges are bent. I did hit a curb (though not hard) back in 2005 on the RH side, the same side that was a major pain to get out last year when installing the LSD. I also suspect some of my more "creative" attempts to get the axle out may have done more damage to it as well. Either way that doesn't explain the bent LH axle, but regardless, it was obvious I needed new axles.

I've been cleaning up my front mudflaps this weekend, installed my windshield mouldings, and today my replica Euro-spec rear mudflaps arrived from Australia! They're quite decent quality, obviously I would much rather have OEM, but haven't been able to find the correct ones in good enough shape to make it worth buying them yet. I've been trying to get them for the better part of 8 years, haha. Still, I am quite happy with the quality of these flaps, I've yet to see how the fitment is, but once the new screws arrive I'll give them a go before the Driven Show this weekend in Calgary.

Jeff

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:06 am

Looking great.

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Thu May 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Finally got the hardware for the mudflaps in today (along with the weatherstrips for the windshield side mouldings). The rear mudflaps seem to fit quite well actually, I was impressed:

Also got the transmission bushing swapped out. Toyota does not sell the bushing separately for anything past mid-84, but the dimensions of the bushing remained the same with only some small differences. I would obviously have preferred the newer bushing, but it was worn so I'll take what I can get:

Got a correct label for my fuel lid to match my GZE swap and finally got my trunk decals as well, looking forward to getting them installed, probably tonight:

New rear axles, new rear bearings, new studs. I'm hoping that I no longer have wobbly wheels!

More to come!

Jeff

Jeff Lange
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Lange » Sun May 24, 2015 1:54 pm

So I got the car back together, the new axles helped quite a bit with the vibration, as did the new transmission output bushing, though I do still have the vibration under load above 95km/h. Now that I have eliminated these other vibrations, I feel that once I get rid of the one under load the car will drive quite nicely. I am also experiencing some excessive LSD noise/chatter from the TRD 2-way that I never had last year, I've been running the same fluid the entire time and it was dead quiet last year but now it is quite noisy. I am going to try some other fluids/friction modifiers and see what I can get working. I hope that the LSD is okay.

The factory shifter is now back in the car, though it didn't have the boot on it and my original boot was torn, so I am going to need to get a new boot for that as we

Also of note was the Driven 2015 show here in Calgary this weekend. I spent a ton of time getting it ready as did Josh G. from Stampede Toyota and my buddy John and I brought home the award for best restoration, which was definitely a fantastic feeling to be recognized for what I've done with the car.

Jeff

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toy86 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 am

Congratz dude, car looks great!

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Tue May 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Amazingly clean! :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.