exhaust hanger (donut type)

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:30 am

anybody have issues with those type of hangers? are there alternatives to the rubber?

i run a GReddy/TRUST DD exhaust and twice now the exhaust hangers have failed and i ended up dragging my exhaust ( :cry: ). the first time, i chalked it up to old hangers that possibly shredded. i had since replaced all of them with new ones that were on pretty tight (in my opinion). the second time happened over the weekend. i heard a clunk and metal dragging. i pull over and take a look and sure enough, my **** is all on the ground. there was one hanger out back kinda dangling that i managed to "secure" enough to get her home. why do these hangers keep failing??? i kind of suspect it's because of all the movement? i was going over quite a few expansion joints on the freeway, so many that i noticed in fact...could that undulating motion be the contributing factor? anybody else notice this before? solutions?

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: exhaust hanger (donut type)

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Did you use genuine hangers the 2nd time? The spurious ones are quite crap to be honest whereas the genuine ones are much stiffer and stronger 90301-36001 is the part number.

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:50 pm

i did not! i think i just bought them from an auto parts store. they were super cheap too...hmmmm, i guess i'll try OEM! good look on the part number!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:22 pm

I haven't heard of this problem before.

This reminded me that user 'Ronny' described the dd as 'HEAVY AS **** !!!' in his ae86 exhaust review, and he's tried at least 12 different off the shelf cbe units.

I'd give oem a try. http://www.toyotaonlineparts.com is the cheapest I've found so far for oem stuff.

ritz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ritz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I put a metal hose clamp on my failed exhaust hanger, and never had an issue since :D

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:40 pm

The problem with rubber is that it is weak in tension. To withstand tensile
forces (like a weight hanging on a rubber ring) the rubber has to be reinforced.
Exactly the same as a tire or a conveyor belt or a high pressure hose. Here
is one answer used by Mercedes...

There is a loop of small pitch roller chain molded into the rubber to add some
tensile strength while still allowing flexibility. Apparently there may be nylon
cord reinforced versions around as well, but I couldn't find any hard info.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 pm

jondee86, you are a wealth of knowledge. lol. that shape exhaust hanger won't work for my application though, i don't think.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 am

Cusco makes reinforced hangers for the ae86. They look like this:

I considered trying them, but it seemed like they might be a pain to fit.

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 am

I have trust dd exhaust as well. Haven't driven the car much but the donut hangers I installed seemed pretty tight.

How many hangers did you use? There is a set near the diff and another set near the exhaust exit.

Walker 35352 Exhaust Insulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBG82/re ... Rvb8DM792Z

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:30 am

Deuce Cam wrote:Cusco makes reinforced hangers for the ae86. They look like this:

I considered trying them, but it seemed like they might be a pain to fit.

i actually bought these before but we weren't able to fit them due to size and shape of the hooks :(

aceforever wrote:I have trust dd exhaust as well. Haven't driven the car much but the donut hangers I installed seemed pretty tight.

How many hangers did you use? There is a set near the diff and another set near the exhaust exit.

Walker 35352 Exhaust Insulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBG82/re ... Rvb8DM792Z

yah, we went over and made sure we didn't miss any. i'm beginning to suspect it was just poor quality donut material, blerg...i'm gonna try oem and see how they feel.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:53 am

strmrdr23 wrote:yah, we went over and made sure we didn't miss any. i'm beginning to suspect it was just poor quality donut material, blerg...i'm gonna try oem and see how they feel.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I had 3 or 4 of the generics tear off as well. If you have a good local parts store they'll usually be willing to look through random parts for a solution. Ie- a $.40 fuel injector o-ring off a large truck was the perfect fit to save me a $700 repair on a sportbike gas pump assembly.

A bit of rubber safe grease and channel locks go a long way towards convincing hangars to fit.

Best of luck. ^_^

ritz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ritz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:31 am

This is what I do and it works amazing