best place to get a tune for a newly turbod 4age

waynebrady22

best place to get a tune for a newly turbod 4age

Postby waynebrady22 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:57 am

Just looking for the name of the best shop in California that does the best tunes on boosted 4age. Anyone know any good shops?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: best place to get a tune for a newly turbod 4age

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:32 am

waynebrady22 wrote:Just looking for the name of the best shop in California that does the best tunes on boosted 4age. Anyone know any good shops?

strongly recommend you also make sure the shop you choose is familiar with tuning the management system you have chosen. It doesn't matter how good they are, if they don't know anything about tuning the system you have chosen
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:45 am

I can't help you on finding a location but I would suggest you learn as much about this and do as much of it as you possible can. The more familiar you are with the system the more self reliant you are. Start having issues with the system 100 miles from home and the much more likely you will be to resolve it your self and the less likely you will need to tow it crazy distances because no one in bumbleforge nowhere tunes motors.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
waynebrady22 wrote:Just looking for the name of the best shop in California that does the best tunes on boosted 4age. Anyone know any good shops?

strongly recommend you also make sure the shop you choose is familiar with tuning the management system you have chosen. It doesn't matter how good they are, if they don't know anything about tuning the system you have chosen

This is one area OST and I have strongly disagreed. Engine managment isn't complicated and one isn't vastly different from another. If someone tells you they are only knowledgeable with one I wouldn't trust them to be knowledgeable at all. It would be like hiring a professional driver to race your car and then them telling you that they could only drive Fords. They didn't know how to drive a Toyota.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:34 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote: Engine managment isn't complicated and one isn't vastly different from another. If someone tells you they are only knowledgeable with one I wouldn't trust them to be knowledgeable at all. It would be like hiring a professional driver to race your car and then them telling you that they could only drive Fords. They didn't know how to drive a Toyota.

How many management systems have you tuned COMPLETELY... setting EVERYTHING up???

For example cold(warmup) enrichment, acceleration parameters, setting ignition sub-parameters to compensate for electrical draws, setting up extra injectors, setting up other as needed functions like limp modes, and other more intricate tuning functions

If you are talking about just setting ignition and fueling maps..... yeah... I can see how they would all be similar, but the devil is in the details... and if you don't know the details.... you will be SOL.

And as usually your analogies are pure crap... driving a car is no where near as complicated as setting up a high performance engine... but you like those kinds of misrepresentations

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:05 pm

there is a learning curve to most systems.
Lotsa 'tuners' won't step too far outside their comfort zone.... especially if it's some one-off system
May not be worth it, for either (time = money)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote: Engine managment isn't complicated and one isn't vastly different from another. If someone tells you they are only knowledgeable with one I wouldn't trust them to be knowledgeable at all. It would be like hiring a professional driver to race your car and then them telling you that they could only drive Fords. They didn't know how to drive a Toyota.

How many management systems have you tuned COMPLETELY... setting EVERYTHING up???

For example cold(warmup) enrichment, acceleration parameters, setting ignition sub-parameters to compensate for electrical draws, setting up extra injectors, setting up other as needed functions like limp modes, and other more intricate tuning functions

If you are talking about just setting ignition and fueling maps..... yeah... I can see how they would all be similar, but the devil is in the details... and if you don't know the details.... you will be SOL.

And as usually your analogies are pure crap... driving a car is no where near as complicated as setting up a high performance engine... but you like those kinds of misrepresentations

So far only AEM and starting to get into Megasquirt.
I have also poked around Links software and a couple others and didn't find anything that seemed too scary.

I can't say I have heard of ignition sub parameters for electrical draw. Normally you would just activate an idle up valve. Or on anything with electronic idle control it will automatically compensate to maintain your target idle speed.
If someone came to me with an ECU that had this sub-parameter and I felt it was necessary there is this fancy new tool called Google that can find tons of information on it.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 am

jinx wrote:there is a learning curve to most systems.
Lotsa 'tuners' won't step too far outside their comfort zone.... especially if it's some one-off system
May not be worth it, for either (time = money)

There is definitely a little learning curve but so far I haven't had many questions that I couldn't google. There is also tech support for almost everything. Definitely for things like Link, AEM, Haltech etc. If you need help it's a phone call away. Even with Megasquirt the guys at DIYautotune are amazingly helpful. So yeah if someone is just stuck in their ways and can't be bothered maybe they won't touch it but not because it would be terribly challenging.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:24 am

Some tuners have more than enough work...... so why would they bother?
google and phone support can take time too
was at a dyno recently, where several tuners(2 even flown in), did their thing. Not time for that
3 guys had to wait until the end, were having their cars tuned by some dudes 100s of miles away
The tuners had recommended the systems to each. It was cool to watch

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:19 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:If someone came to me with an ECU that had this sub-parameter and I felt it was necessary there is this fancy new tool called Google that can find tons of information on it.

Would you like to put a wager on that??? :twisted:

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:56 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:If someone came to me with an ECU that had this sub-parameter and I felt it was necessary there is this fancy new tool called Google that can find tons of information on it.

Sure, my nicest Corolla for yours?
Winner has to pick it up.

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:11 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote: If someone tells you they are only knowledgeable with one I wouldn't trust them to be knowledgeable at all.

Just take the exact opposite of this advice and you should be fine. A tuner that specializes with one (possibly two) systems is smarter than any tuner saying that they can do all systems. A specialize tuner will get the job done faster. Saving you time and money because you wont be paying him/her to google answers lol.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:54 pm

ogdougynutty wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote: If someone tells you they are only knowledgeable with one I wouldn't trust them to be knowledgeable at all.

Just take the exact opposite of this advice and you should be fine. A tuner that specializes with one (possibly two) systems is smarter than any tuner saying that they can do all systems. A specialize tuner will get the job done faster. Saving you time and money because you wont be paying him/her to google answers lol.

And what is the extent of your tuning experience?
How many systems have you tried to tune on?
My point was not that you would need to spend a lot of time searching of fumbling around but that if you encountered something you weren't sure about or was done a little differently there are plenty of resources out there if you should need them.
Now I have only gotten moderately familiar with a few UIs so I won't say I could tune anything out there. If someone came to me with something I hadn't played with before I would check it out and see if there was anything that seemed overwhelming but generally speaking I don't think that would be the case. If I thought it might significantly add time to the tune because of learning something about the system then I would tell them that beforehand.
And perhaps some people would turn it down because they were too busy or because they didn't want to bother but that is different than saying it would be particularly challenging for someone who has a general understanding of engine management.
I'd still be wary of anyone who could only tune one or two.

This does also assume as it sounds is the case with the OP that we are just talking about the actual tune.
If we are talking about setup, particularly if say the engine management isn't setup to read the stock dizzy signal or something like that. Then yeah the more experience you have with the exact setup in question the easier it will be.
Initial setup can be a biznatch no matter what you use if something goes funky.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:

Sure, my nicest Corolla for yours?
Winner has to pick it up.

If you had anything worthy... I might have considered it... but for now a simple $5.00 bet........

Find tuning information on the FJO 341B 2... that hasn't been posted by me....

Here is a bone for you, 16 screen captures of the many different parameters that need tuning.... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 324/page1/