Warning that the Exedy clutch for the AE86 isn't right

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Warning that the Exedy clutch for the AE86 isn't right

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but I haven't heard people talking about it so I thought I'd post up.
I recently found out that the Exedy clutch kit for the AE86 is listed as the same kit for the AW11 and the kit contains the throw out bearing for the AW11.
When I first found out about this they said they were going to fix it. A couple months later I was talking to them and found out that thy haven't fixed it and are waiting to get parts in to confirm the OEM equipment. So as of now the kit has not been fixed. More importantly any existing inventory that shops have listed for the AE86 will have the wrong throwout bearing.

For anyone who has a kit with the wrong bearing the right one is BRG201 and I have them on my website.
http://matrixgarage.com/products/exedy- ... earing-t50

If anyone is looking for an Exedy clutch feel free to hit me up and I will make sure you get the right components.
I can also put together a kit for 212 mm FW, disk and PP with the proper bearings for the 86.

Six1ohrollaz
Club4AG Regular

Re: Warning that the Exedy clutch for the AE86 isn't right

Postby Six1ohrollaz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Wow where was you 2 years ago when I did my clutch and I had to re-use my old throw out bearing cuz my exedy clutch kit was how you explained it!!! I thought maybe it was for an ae92! Good info and bump for you my friend!
current cars
85 corolla GT-S hb
81 corolla 2dr
after 12 TE/AE corollas this is what it's come down too

ship2236
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ship2236 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:45 am

Same thing happened to me in my last coupe. Oh well wasnt that bad as my throwput bearing was still ok

Kando
Club4AG Regular

Postby Kando » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:33 pm

These jerks have been doing this for years, and on more than just that set. They have also had the wrong tob for the 4agze for ages. They have also known about these issue for years, and still do nothing about it. Really lame!

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:03 pm

C series transmissions don't have throw-out bearings so neither the AW11 or AE92 would use one.

I've actually never seen a transverse transmission use a throw-out bearing. They tend to have the input shaft supported at both ends, unlike on FR transmissions, which do not.

This makes Exedy's kit even more odd.
Pursuing the ideal

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:15 pm

burdickjp wrote:C series transmissions don't have throw-out bearings so neither the AW11 or AE92 would use one.

I've actually never seen a transverse transmission use a throw-out bearing. They tend to have the input shaft supported at both ends, unlike on FR transmissions, which do not.

I assume you mean pilot bearing.
They all use throw out bearings.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
burdickjp wrote:C series transmissions don't have throw-out bearings so neither the AW11 or AE92 would use one.

I assume you mean pilot bearing.
They all use throw out bearings.

Yep. Don't know how those got mixed up in my head.
Pursuing the ideal

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 pm

When I realized this I emailed them to try to get it fixed. They said they would work on it. Probably a year later they said the same. Last week I stumbled across the email so I decided to shoot them a reply and sure enough they told me that it has been resolved. For whatever corporate madness it was easier for them to add the longi bearing so now Exedy 16029 kit now includes the transverse throwout bearing and the Longitudinal throwout bearing.

For those with oddball setups like 215 or 225 clutches with T50 I can also get the longi throwout and pilot bearings separate to go with a FWD clutch kit. I don't currently stock them because I haven't gotten any interest in them so it might take a week or so to get to you.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks for the info, I am starting to hear some TOB noise and clutch engagement feels a bit rough. I'm thinking its time for a clutch kit!

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:53 pm

So i ordered up a16029 clutch kit, and there is only one set of bearings. I'm guessing the only way I get an updated kit is to order from exedy or matrix? You guys think exedy would send me one if i emailed them? Ordered this on Amazon prime so returning it is no problem, just really wanted to get it done this weekend. :(

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:23 am

I Emailed Exedy, got an immeadiate response from a Bill Garret. He asked for the usual part number label, and invoice receipt. He was surprised this is still happening, but didn't give me a hard time at all. So Yoshi, you are correct, but I guess there are still some random ones out there that have not been corrected. But no problem if someone ends up with one, they were chill about sending out a brg201 to me.
Last edited by ae86714 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Good to hear ae86714 and glad you got it resolved easily.
I actually just ordered another one of these kits for a customer of mine and it only had the transverse bearing in it as well. I don't sell enough of these to stock them so I usually just drop ship from my distributors. Seems as though they may still have the old kits on the shelf as well.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:16 am

So i'm noticing the Pilot bearing is a bit larger than the one I pulled out of my car. I've been Emailing Exedy, and they say that "6201RS or PB024" is what they show for the GTS. And that a smaller bearing is used for the NON gts RWD model. So what's going on here? do I have some early model that shares some 4AC bottom end parts? I can probably just go bring mine in to the parts store and get one for cheap, but still curious.

shadowwolf151
Club4AG Regular

Postby shadowwolf151 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 am

Wow, I just bought an Exedy Stage 2 a few weeks ago, Now I need to look and see if they shipped the right part. haha. Thanks for the info, you may have just saved me a major headache.