Rebuilding/remanufacturing racks

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Rebuilding/remanufacturing racks

Postby ApexTaq » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 am

I bought an AW11 manual rack a while ago and was faced with something that looked like it sat outside for 10 years. It still functions, but there is rust and all the seals are done. Lots of play in it. Is it possible to send these out for remanufacturing? Would the cost be prohibitive?

My depowered power rack is on its way out, and it seems like a waste to let this manual rack sit around, but I for sure can't rebuild it on my own. I do need a driveable car ASAP though.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Rebuilding/remanufacturing racks

Postby aukword1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25 am

You can still buy the oem parts from toyota to rebuild the aw11 rack.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm

Usually the tie rods are the only thing that need to be replaced unless it was submerged in water for a period of time.

The "seal" you're referring is just a dust cover (you can replace that easily without rebuild if it bothers you).

The only reason youd need to full rebuild is if the pinion bearings and rack guide bushings are bad. If it operates smoothly without excessive play, you're good to go.

If it doesnt operate smoothly, try applying grease to the rack ends before you go down the rebuild road. Most times that fixes it.

Good luck.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 am

Generally just new boots and tie rods, but if the actual surfaces are gouged because of debris ingress, rebuilding is about the only way to actually fix it - filling low spots and voids with weld and machining the rods back to new specs (or whatever size the shop has on hand)

Most often folks just throw away the old units, but for specialty items calling around to local shops that advertise rebuilds or even calling a large setup like Cardone directly may be the only way to find out.

Very frequently done in the islands or other places where shipping costs and times make things silly.

As said above though, new tie rods, fresh grease, and boots should at least get most racks functioning well again. Pressure wash it out in the yard and it'll clean up pretty quickly.

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Forgot I had asked this question, but I'm still dealing with the situation. Guess it's next to impossible to find even power steering racks from ACDelco and the like now. I called up an axle rebuilding place in Huntington Beach and they said they'd take a look at the manual rack. Need to track down a u-joint now.

UNLIMITED 86 wrote:Usually the tie rods are the only thing that need to be replaced unless it was submerged in water for a period of time.

The "seal" you're referring is just a dust cover (you can replace that easily without rebuild if it bothers you).

The only reason youd need to full rebuild is if the pinion bearings and rack guide bushings are bad. If it operates smoothly without excessive play, you're good to go.

If it doesnt operate smoothly, try applying grease to the rack ends before you go down the rebuild road. Most times that fixes it.

Good luck.

It definitely has excessive play despite operating fairly smoothly. Easy enough to move it by hand, but it feels like there's about 1-2 cm of movement up and down in every direction.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:02 pm

You're in socal?
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 am

ApexTaq wrote:Guess it's next to impossible to find even power steering racks from ACDelco and the like now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... inion,7388

ACDelco ps rack, $127...

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 am

UNLIMITED 86 wrote:You're in socal?

Yeah, I'm in Irvine.

Nick94tt wrote:
ApexTaq wrote:Guess it's next to impossible to find even power steering racks from ACDelco and the like now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... inion,7388

ACDelco ps rack, $127...

I was trying to go that route, but when you add any rack on rock auto, it either auto-discontinues it for you or if you manage to get it into your cart, it'll throw up a "this item is not currently available" when you try to go to payment. Pretty much the same for any rack (mr2 or ae86) on most sites I checked.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 pm

I was trying to go that route, but when you add any rack on rock auto, it either auto-discontinues it for you or if you manage to get it into your cart, it'll throw up a "this item is not currently available" when you try to go to payment. Pretty much the same for any rack (mr2 or ae86) on most sites I checked.

Lol. Just re-tried. It did actually let me put it in the cart. Reloaded the page and it emptied out and changed status to out of stock.

The cardone rebuild service still shows available. Be out of a rack a bit longer but it's likely still available. I got one from them a few years back before they went to the service by order option.

I keep refreshing my alert for a rebuilt manual rack, lol.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:45 pm

I'd honestly just call.around some local shops and make sure they're well reviewed. Might luck out. It's that or junkyards/copart...

Quietly wondering about racks from other makes and models. Pretty straightforward if you know the lengths, threads, and spline requirements.

Be nice if some form of manual civic rack could be hacked together. That or call the circle track/ sand rail guys.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Honestly forgot how tiny our racks are end to end. About 21.75" to the pivot points. Even na/NB miatas are 24". :lol:

A Mustang II rack may be an option, but it would have to be shortened - and the rod ends figured out bin diving with calipers and tapes. They're also generally cheap and plentiful since it's the go-to steering rack for most hot rod folks.

Could go aftermarket new with something like this from the open wheel guys... $360 or so minus all the other needed parts, lol.

https://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=vie ... ng%20Units

Curious to see how it turns out. Once I get my motor back together steering is high on my list as well.

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Nick94tt wrote:Honestly forgot how tiny our racks are end to end. About 21.75" to the pivot points. Even na/NB miatas are 24". :lol:

A Mustang II rack may be an option, but it would have to be shortened - and the rod ends figured out bin diving with calipers and tapes. They're also generally cheap and plentiful since it's the go-to steering rack for most hot rod folks.

Could go aftermarket new with something like this from the open wheel guys... $360 or so minus all the other needed parts, lol.

https://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=vie ... ng%20Units

Curious to see how it turns out. Once I get my motor back together steering is high on my list as well.

Eventually I feel like I'd want to go the aftermarket new route. From what I read, the MR2 racks aren't a perfect solution for 86s with bump steer problems, but it's gotta be better than a tired power rack. Seems to be holding up to daily driving for now, but steering is just getting too sloppy for me.

I'm going to try to take the MR2 rack to a place called California Axle Supply in Huntington and see if I can get that rebuilt and just go the standard aw11 rack route for now. Already about $200 into that process anyway lol. I wonder how long until AW11 u-joints become rare. I just ordered one from England because I couldn't find much on ebay, CL, or car parts sites in the US.

RHD would be so much easier right now.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Joints are generally a parts catalogue away - just not the kind that are readily accessible or easy to read,

Bump steer is pretty much just a semi-compicated math problem. Once you're to the point where you're capable of fabbing new mounts it's just a suspension calculator away from figuring things out - be it computer based or plywood. The locost 7 and grassroots guys are really well versed there.

I still think the easiest method is just a stock rebuilt, but I know where you're going with it.

Fun fact, my windshield cracked yesterday. Lol. Tough life, sitting still.