poltergeists in my car, HALP!

Franken_Hachi
Club4AG Regular

poltergeists in my car, HALP!

Postby Franken_Hachi » Sat May 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Okay, I blew my head gasket and after replacing it I could not get the car to run very well. I went buy the factory repair manual and set the timing to 10 degrees while in diagnostic mode and when i pulled the jumper it went to 17-18. now that was out of the way I tried a spare ignitor and checked the resistance on the pick ups in the Distro. so far so good. Over the winter I swapped out the fuel pump and half ass cleaned the tank, I plan on installing a fuel cell. the fuel pump is also good. my vehicle had an egr delete and an Iac delete. I swapped out the fuel pressure regulator since I went with a 255lph pump. from my understanding the pressure should be between 35-40psi, this is where it gets weird. I decided to turn up the pressure a little and it seemed to do the trick and started running better. the final pressure before it ran half way ran ok was 80psi. I'm not sure if the gauge on the cheap frp is garbage or what. I haven't had a chance to test the maf yet, but if it is giving the wrong readings the car may be getting way more air than it thinks it is. I'm at a loss guys. any comments, Ideas, jokes, I'm open to whatever.
1985 Corolla GT-S
2007 Camry (daily)
1994 Jeep Wrangler (lifted and stuff)
MECP Certified Installer
Insta: @franken_hachi

jondee86

Re: poltergeists in my car, HALP!

Postby jondee86 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:23 am

You could check to see that the flapper thing inside the AFM moves freely, and
is not jammed with crud or dragging on the side walls. How far the flapper opens
tells the ECU how much fuel to inject. If the flapper is not free to move, air will
squeeze past but you will run lean. That would tie with you saying it ran better
with more fuel when you raised the pressure.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Franken_Hachi
Club4AG Regular

Re: poltergeists in my car, HALP!

Postby Franken_Hachi » Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 pm

The fuel injectors were clogged. I cleaned them, and it fired right up.
1985 Corolla GT-S
2007 Camry (daily)
1994 Jeep Wrangler (lifted and stuff)
MECP Certified Installer
Insta: @franken_hachi