Dancing headlight issue

truenoboy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Dancing headlight issue

Postby truenoboy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am

So I've now tried three different motors on my driver's side headlight, but the headlight keeps opening and closing when I turn the switch off. Since I've tried three motors with the same issue, I doubt the issue is with the HL motor. What cases this issue, and how can I fix it?

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Dancing headlight issue

Postby aukword1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:36 pm

It sounds like they need to be adjusted. Check out this thread which discusses the issue and fix. https://www.club4ag.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=20851

truenoboy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenoboy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 am

aukword1 wrote:It sounds like they need to be adjusted. Check out this thread which discusses the issue and fix. https://www.club4ag.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=20851

Thanks! Unfortunately that link is about a different issue. I'm not having issue with adjustment because I already set it by adjusting the arms. The issue is that the lights repeatedly open and close on the driver's side when I turn the switch off. Like a continuous blinking eye.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

Then that might be a short in the line. If the adjustment is off it will act like that but only once, it wouldn't do it continuously.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Try cleaning the connection to the retract relay (by the battery). Make sure the pins/plugs aren't corroded or caked with crap, and the wires arent broke.

The grease that was used in this connector is old and gotten pasty over the years. Not to mention it likey has collected lots of crap too.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am

UNLIMITED 86 wrote:Try cleaning the connection to the retract relay (by the battery). Make sure the pins/plugs aren't corroded or caked with crap, and the wires arent broke.

The grease that was used in this connector is old and gotten pasty over the years. Not to mention it likey has collected lots of crap too.

Mine winks ;) (Driver side flips up, doesn't flip down...) I will try this method. Thanks!

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:48 am

Mine winks ;) (Driver side flips up, doesn't flip down...) I will try this method. Thanks![/quote]

Sometimes this can be caused by the rod length on the actuator mechanism as well. When you set the headlight to the down position, quickly give the stuck headlight a slight push towards the open position. If the headlight closes, try adjusting the rod length to see if it helps.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 am

Update:

I bought a used Headlight Switch from Rongfk and the headlights on my ae86 are now working as it should.
For the longest time my headache was both the headlights flipping up, but not turning on, flipping down but the driver's side stays up etc...
Now..so far, so good!

truenoboy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenoboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:44 pm

To the top.

I've tried cleaning the connection and switching motors, but same result. The lights turn on, but the driver's side light keeps opening and closing.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Sounds quite a bit like a broken trace somewhere on a circuit board/switch. Having taken mine apart and refreshed it, there are a lot of bits under tension to crack and vibrate.

Odds are it'll eventually just stop switching.

Wiring diagram in the service manual.may help trace the leads.

Could very well be a failing ground near the switch since the power flows towards it vs the lights. (Assuming I remember correctly)

I'd start at the grounding points at/near the switch. Bad connections, broken wires, etc.

Or borrow a friend's working headlight switch to try.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:00 am

TRY THE RETRACTOR RELAY, THE UNIT IS PROBABLY BAD
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up