Silvertop runs but loses power and shuts down

BlueAngel
Club4AG Regular

Silvertop runs but loses power and shuts down

Postby BlueAngel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Folks,
I need your experience here. ( I am not experience in this at all)
I've been having this problem for a while now, and not too successful getting a mechanic who can identify the problem.
I even consider purchasing a new engine and keep this one for spares, or pay someone to rewire the car (not sure if something wasn't connected properly)

I will try to explain the problem to the best of my knowledge:
When I crank the engine, it runs but after a while it start to misfire and shut down. If I take it for a drive, It runs couple of miles and loses power then dies. (I have to towed back home few times already) when it dies, it won't crank again (it has spark) but won't start. I have to let it seat for a while, then I can crank it again.

Some tech who have tried to diagnose the problem, concluded that the distributor my be bad, apparently it stops to generate voltate, or for some razor the injectors lose ground and stop functioning. shutting the car down.

I recently purchased a used distributor from but when I installed it, it does the same thing. I think because it is from the same year, probably came in with the same problem. or perhaps, neither are defective and the problem is something else.

If anyone in the forum has seem a similar issue, I really appreciate the help.
Thank you all!

jondee86

Re: Silvertop runs but loses power and shuts down

Postby jondee86 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 am

If I understand correctly, the engine will start normally, run normally for a short
while and then shrivel and die. Won't start up again until it has sat for 15-20 minutes
and then it starts and runs normally for a few minutes before dying again.

If so, these are the classic symptoms of some electrical component overheating.
The culprit is usually a relay or a high resistance soldered joint. You could try looking
for (feeling for) some electrical item that get hot to touch after just a few minutes.
Start with the relays in the underhood fuse box and also check the Circuit Opening
relay under the dash.

It would also be a good idea to see if you can check if the fuel pump still runs when
the car dies. If you have a fuel pump test plug, when the car dies jumper that plug
and turn the key ON and see if the fuel pump runs. Have a practice first to make sure
you can actually hear the fuel pump running as they usually don't make a loud noise.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:38 am

I think jondee86's idea that you have a fuel pump problems is the most likely. When the motor stops, try spraying quick start in the plastic vacuum connector on the manifold. If it runs for a second with the quick start, then you know it is a fuel issue. These fuel pumps have a limited life. davew7

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 am

Jondee is probably right on. Make sure all your ground/earth connections are clean and tight. Paint, corrosion and loose joints will hinder conductivity. My first place to look in such a situation is typically the ignition components. The igniter cuts out when it gets hot, especially on older cars, the 4AGE is getting a bit long in the tooth.
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:59 am

Another though is if any wires were cut and spliced. Whether crimped or soldered, bad connections can be a culprit.
One shot, one kill.