JDM KOUKI ECU OPTIONS

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

JDM KOUKI ECU OPTIONS

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:40 pm

So im ditching my carbs and building a simple fuel injected turbo set up for next years drift season. ive got all the engine stuff sorted other than injectors and what not. just bought a kouki jdm ae86 engine harness and now I need to figure out what the HELL im gonna do for an ecu. literally cant find ANYTHING plug and play and cant figure out anything that would be considered a piggy back etc. if I found an oem kouki ecu how programable is it on a dyno and what has everyone else done for turbo ae86 with kouki harness? thanks!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: JDM KOUKI ECU OPTIONS

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:10 am

For a "plug and play" there are a few out there. If you want a piggyback set-up I'd say the best would be a Greddy e-manage. The JDM units can be controlled with a piggyback but the USDM unit cannot. For a PnP look at AEM, I think I saw one available there.
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:10 am

For a "plug and play" there are a few out there. If you want a piggyback set-up I'd say the best would be a Greddy e-manage. The JDM units can be controlled with a piggyback but the USDM unit cannot. For a PnP look at AEM, I think I saw one available there.
One shot, one kill.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 am

sirdeuce wrote:For a "plug and play" there are a few out there. If you want a piggyback set-up I'd say the best would be a Greddy e-manage. The JDM units can be controlled with a piggyback but the USDM unit cannot. For a PnP look at AEM, I think I saw one available there.

So everything ive found so far is telling me there isnt a plug and play option for the jdm ae86 map sensor harness. Idk why tho lol i will check aem out tho! Thanks

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:06 am

Are there any JDM harness options for Megasquirt / DIYpnp?
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:Are there any JDM harness options for Megasquirt / DIYpnp?

I think they are AFM specific.
Freedom is THE best plug and play but, yeah, nobody can calibrate them and there is no factory support as E&E have closed their business.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:51 pm

a friend ran MAP electronics on his street car: bluetop with a T3 turbo @ 8psi
He ran free supra 440cc injectors, tuned via a $150 used SAFC. Can't remeber if he used a 'turbo' MAP sensor tho
Ran great. Fast! Even stranger, he chose automatic tranny. Added some type octane boost for 10-11psi, since no timing control

pretty much wound up with something Very similar to this: http://www.sdsefi.com/features/feature9.html

way back on the ooollllddd forum, clubmember "yoyota" ran map elctronics
first time I've ever heard of Emanage(Blue). His was so early, only manuals were japanese (not for export yet)
street ae86 + t3/t4 turbo got down to 12.2 sec 1/4.
Added rods/pistons/cams + standalone, went 10.98
Emanage Ultimate surpass Blue... dunno if still available. Toyota Tacoma guys run AEM FIC piggyback when they turbo. Search it

Guy builds reasonable price megasquirts for our starion clubmembers. Probably do u a simple basic system
iirc Bluetop distributor triggers low price GM HEI 4pin(if u want fuel-only) or 7pin(to add timing control) modules. Simplifies things

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 pm

I have a JDM MAP ECU and an e-manage, not sure I'll ever use it, but maybeeeee. Would be in my MR2 with a 7AGE, unless I go the stand-alone route of course. At least with the e-manage you can get a good handle on the fuel AND timing with the right harnesses.
One shot, one kill.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for all the info so far guys! so the only PLUG AND PLAY piggy back I've come across so far is from matrixgarage.com they have an AEM piggyback on there and state that they can get a tweaked performance patch harness for it as well but havnt gotten back to me about if it will be for my jdm map sensor harness and tweaked performance hasn't gotten back to me yet either. so not sure we will see! I have the jdm map ecu already found a clean one in japan for dirt cheap so now its just finding the piggy back that will work easiest for me. the aem is cheap enough and if I can get plug and play patch harness with it that would be awsome

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Hey everyone! Thought I would follow up so others have the info as well. I found a company that makes a plug and play patch harness to use an AEM ems-4 ecu with the jdm trueno harness! The company is BOOMSLANG.COM Thing is expensive but might solve others issues as well!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Heard the name before, keep us posted!
One shot, one kill.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:34 am

Be careful with the universal AEM - 4 ecu if you want to run it with the original distributor sensors, the VR signals need reversing and the universal AEM cannot do this.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am

Boomslang popular with the miata crew.
Standalone does not have to be expensive. That is a choice you make
Our starion Megasquirter does those plug n play as well, for very reasonable money. Remote tunes too.
I wouldn't lock myself into stock loom or that shitty distributor placement either (interferes with turbo stuff big time)
I'd go crank trigger, new simple loom.... come with a loaded map and be on your way

kakico
Club4AG Regular

Postby kakico » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:10 am

Hi
I hope it helps
I did change the harness, with a European type( no oxy sensor). Using the 24-4 dizzy.
I have been using the freedom ECU on both 16V and 20V (different ECUs), with friends support ( Roberts martyns and others) and the communication cable, I was able to do changes inside the ECU.
good results overall, the ECU has 4 preset maps, can change the Injector size, rpm limit , timing, fuel( tps/VE)
the 16V harness is wire that all the injectors fire at the same time, ECU fires every other cycle.
Other option could be the Plug and play from DIY.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24 am

jinx wrote:Boomslang popular with the miata crew.
Standalone does not have to be expensive. That is a choice you make
Our starion Megasquirter does those plug n play as well, for very reasonable money. Remote tunes too.
I wouldn't lock myself into stock loom or that shitty distributor placement either (interferes with turbo stuff big time)
I'd go crank trigger, new simple loom.... come with a loaded map and be on your way

So I really wanted to go with a megasquirt because its plug and play and not too expensive. But after talking with them they actually do not make a plug and play box for the engine harness I have! my chassis was an sr5 carby before I bought it and dropped a weber carb'd 16v in it. So converting to fule injection for this upcoming season meant finding a fuel injection harness. And the one I found was a jdm MAP sensor harness that megasquirt states has a different pin out than what they sell lol so im limited in what options to run for standalone when it comes to plug and play. Finding engine management has been my only hurtle so far and its frustrating!!!

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm

u may b boxing yourself in restricted by that 4age-MAP harness & plug n play = frustration$$$$

I'd talk to an experienced megasquirter to get a fix on your options and costs

luckily we have a cool guru in our starion club. Good quality, support and prices. U rarely get that
Lotsa cars run his systems sucessfully: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/inde ... 7426&st=40
I'm gonna get a system for my starion from him shortly

After I'm up n running, ecu is communicating and comfortable with the software/tuning.... I'll consult him on 4age & ca18
Most likely leaning toward a simple crank trigger wheel, to get rid of the old stock distributor/crappy placement
A generic loom should be simple connections: coolant temp + air intake + ignitor + injectors + map
A basic tune to get me started should be no prob

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:50 am

jinx wrote:u may b boxing yourself in restricted by that 4age-MAP harness & plug n play = frustration$$$$

I'd talk to an experienced megasquirter to get a fix on your options and costs

luckily we have a cool guru in our starion club. Good quality, support and prices. U rarely get that
Lotsa cars run his systems sucessfully: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/inde ... 7426&st=40
I'm gonna get a system for my starion from him shortly

After I'm up n running, ecu is communicating and comfortable with the software/tuning.... I'll consult him on 4age & ca18
Most likely leaning toward a simple crank trigger wheel, to get rid of the old stock distributor/crappy placement
A generic loom should be simple connections: coolant temp + air intake + ignitor + injectors + map
A basic tune to get me started should be no prob

So would I be better off getting a megasquirt and just making a universal harness work?

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:53 am

So I saw the microsquirt comes with a harness for reasonable price! will this work for my application?!

kakico
Club4AG Regular

Postby kakico » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:24 am

try Nick Pahls, find him on facebook , has done many 4age with megasquirt.
juan

kakico
Club4AG Regular

Postby kakico » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:26 am