Kelford vs Toda | Gates Racing vs Toda for 16v

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Kelford vs Toda | Gates Racing vs Toda for 16v

Postby yabaiani » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi everyone, just a quick question. For Cam Gears, which option would you go with and why, Kelford vs Toda. Also, for the timing belt, again, would you go with Toda or Gates Racing.

Thanks!

jondee86

Re: Kelford vs Toda | Gates Racing vs Toda for 16v

Postby jondee86 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Interesting... I didn't know Kelford did these until now...

Cam gears are the kind of thing that you don't change once you have them dialed in. So long
as you can read the vernier and remember that one cam degree equals two crank degrees either
brand will work. The Toda gears use an actual vernier type reading as on a manual vernier
caliper, and that can be a tiny bit confusing... check out their adjustment instructions.

I never had any problems with genuine Toyota timing belts or decent industrial belts (Optibelt etc)
from my local engineering suppliers. I wouldn't look at the ridiculously over-priced "racing" belts
unless I was building a full race engine. But if you like a big safety margin either of the brands you
mention will be fine. Just choose the colour you like best :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:18 am

I remember someone told me the difference buying a
Racing belt $$$$ versus standerd/ gates or oem $$ is that
They both will wear and fail.

But the racing belt have more chances of stretching/ unable to hold tension/ fall of or skip tooth , where the oem/ gates type would snap. Both will fail at one point but that extra $$$ your just choosing how it will fail.
For 16v 4ag non-interference, it just a matter of replacing the belt and your good to go.

For 20v completely different story haha :D

not saying this is the truth, it was just a logical way of thinking of it. But who knows what can happen.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:41 pm

mad_86 wrote:But the racing belt have more chances of stretching/ unable to hold tension/ fall of or skip tooth , where the oem/ gates type would snap. Both will fail at one point but that extra $$$ your just choosing how it will fail.
For 16v 4ag non-interference, it just a matter of replacing the belt and your good to go.

For 20v completely different story haha :D

not saying this is the truth, it was just a logical way of thinking of it. But who knows what can happen.

Probably aren't too far off. I would expect folks putting out a "racing" belt to just be focusing on quality control, and likely a different reinforcement layout better suited for limiter chasing. (Materials, amounts, orientation, etc)

If they came across some miraculous new manufacturing process or tech they'd market it.

I'd be checking my timing belt a helluva lot more often if anything I drove was interference. :lol:

I'd likely have one of those fancy tension/stretch gauges. But then, I sold my old DSM... :mrgreen: (not really, I miss that one)

I'm a sucker for orange. Killing it on the shopping list Yab. 8-)