4agze new clutch options

winzersr20

4agze new clutch options

Postby winzersr20 » Sat May 06, 2023 2:40 am

1985 corolla hatchback w/4agze, intake, exhaust, headers, t50 trans

i want to use the car for drifting but still being able to enjoy driving it on the street once in a while.

i got the car with an act clutch (not sure which) and im looking into clutch kit options. from my research I've narrowed it down to act, xclutch or illegal garage (but no warranty). I've read a lot of recommendations on upgrading to a 212mm flywheel. from what im told, the 200mm kits won't work on a 212mm fly and i will need a 212mm pressure plate to match with the flywheel. but im not finding clutch kits for the corolla with a 212mm pressure plate. i assume i would have to buy the pieces separately since i can't find a kit?

my other question is what peoples feedback is going with a lightweight flywheel or not for the gze? in the future i would like to upgrade to a turbo (200-250hp) but i don't really have a timeline for that. its been 10+ years since I've drifted so ill be a beginner level so ill say it'll be at least a year for me to upgrade to a turbo. there's pros and cons for a lightweight fly, one being to keep a stock flywheel for turbo'd engines to keep low end torque. but since that's a year + out, is a lightweight flywheel good for gze for someone being reintroduced to drifting?

thanks!

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4agze new clutch options

Postby jdm86gtz » Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 am

First job would be to see what flywheel you currently have. 200mm flywheels have the ring gear proud of the flywheel circumference and on the 212mm flywheel the ring gear is the same diameter as the pressure plate mounting face.
So if you can see the flywheel by the sump that will be handy or else you can pull the starter out to inspect.
I ran a chromoly (4.x Kg) flywheel and Exedy organic clutch on my 4agze (peaked 0.7 BAR) for a few years, no complaints and just needed a little bit more care than a standard flywheel when taking off. GZEs idle funny with FMICs but other than that it was steady.
On my 4A-GTE I used a stock blacktop 20v flywheel with a TRD organic clutch and again nice idle and very streetable.

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Wed May 10, 2023 8:28 pm

I thought 4AGZE's had 225mm flywheel ??
Davegt27 Code One Racing

winzersr20

Postby winzersr20 » Fri May 12, 2023 11:52 am

Davegt27 wrote:I thought 4AGZE's had 225mm flywheel ??

a 225mm won't for in the t50 trans for a corolla. 212mm is the largest that will fit. im looking for a blacktop 20v flywheel so if anyone has one, lmk!

winzersr20

Postby winzersr20 » Fri May 12, 2023 12:11 pm

jdm86gtz wrote:First job would be to see what flywheel you currently have. 200mm flywheels have the ring gear proud of the flywheel circumference and on the 212mm flywheel the ring gear is the same diameter as the pressure plate mounting face.
So if you can see the flywheel by the sump that will be handy or else you can pull the starter out to inspect.
I ran a chromoly (4.x Kg) flywheel and Exedy organic clutch on my 4agze (peaked 0.7 BAR) for a few years, no complaints and just needed a little bit more care than a standard flywheel when taking off. GZEs idle funny with FMICs but other than that it was steady.
On my 4A-GTE I used a stock blacktop 20v flywheel with a TRD organic clutch and again nice idle and very streetable.

i uploaded pics to imgur.com, below is the link. lmk if it doesn't work. luckily i took pics when i replaced the starter.

https://imgur.com/a/oEQ1gXq