SR5 to GT-S rear end conversion

kris_hm

SR5 to GT-S rear end conversion

Postby kris_hm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 pm

I have an SR5 with a wheel bearing thats gone bad, mechanic says it would be cheaper to just replace the whole rear end. Even if its not Im looking to GT-S my corolla in the future anyway, so as parts fail im replacing them with upgrades.
The wheel bearing is my excuse for this decision.
But i need to know if the rear end from a GT-S will go onto my SR5 without a problem? Or will I have to do some retro fitting? Or what?
I intend on replacing the engine with a silver top or black top and manual transmission at some point in time.
Any help is very appreciated :)

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: SR5 to GT-S rear end conversion

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Cheaper to replace the whole rear end!!?? awsome mechanic..... No sense in switching to a GTS rearend if you still have a 4AC IMO....
@_yotaholic

meifert
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby meifert » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Your mechanic needs to be fired. However, if you are going to do the swap then go ahead.
1984 Corolla SR5.....banana on wheels
Buddy Club Spec 2 Over axle, T3 Test Pipe, T3 Bomber Bar, T3 Ultimate Rear Brace, Enkei Apache 2 wheels, (Weber carb and Cam not installed)

Cheap, good or fast.....pick two.

kris_hm

Postby kris_hm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 pm

I thought that sounded wrong but he seemed to think he could get the rear end for 150 bucks, I'll have to ask him again but im sure thats what he told me.
I havent tried sourcing my own parts yet though,Im just taking his word for it.
He said he looked for a wheel bearing and couldnt find one for my car anyway.
Anyway I want the GT-S rear end for the disc brakes.
So just verifying, it will fit, will i need to do anything to the parking brake or the master cylinder or anything like that?
Or just plug and play? so to speak
Also would anyone know where I can find the ac controls for it? The plastic face has cracked and I want to replace it. And the little windshield wiper light bulb cover has gone missing over the years, but im afraid I'll never find one of those. Already been over ebay and parts warehouse and sites like that. Any sites i dont know about?

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Good luck finding a complete GTS rear for under 600$
@_yotaholic

corollin'thecorolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby corollin'thecorolla » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:31 am

go to "parts & accessories" from the board of index. some dude is selling a gts rear end for 500$ brakes & stock lsd.
or junk yards can help too but that is a waiting game.
as of the question if it's plug and play i will leave that for the pros to answer. what i do know is that it will bold right up but the sr5 driveshaft and the gts driveshaft has a 1 inch difference. i also just recently talked with a fellow 86 owner and he says to just go supra celica rear end if you're planning on having a bit more than just a stock 16 valve with no upgrades.

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 pm

corollin'thecorolla wrote:go to "parts & accessories" from the board of index. some dude is selling a gts rear end for 500$ brakes & stock lsd.
or junk yards can help too but that is a waiting game.
as of the question if it's plug and play i will leave that for the pros to answer. what i do know is that it will bold right up but the sr5 driveshaft and the gts driveshaft has a 1 inch difference. i also just recently talked with a fellow 86 owner and he says to just go supra celica rear end if you're planning on having a bit more than just a stock 16 valve with no upgrades.

OP This is the answer I would give you.
Honest to God if I could put a different tranny in my AE86 and retain my 20V that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I would do away with everything stock about that drive train.

Especially that goddamn transmission.

Six1ohrollaz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Six1ohrollaz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Swapping rears is an easy direct swap no need to modify anything although doing this might cause ur automatic trans to go not immediately but eventually 4ac auto trans suck modiffying to a better stronger rear ull notice the diff I don't see it being a worthless mod at all!
current cars
85 corolla GT-S hb
81 corolla 2dr
after 12 TE/AE corollas this is what it's come down too