What do you love about the 86?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Elvin Wes
Club4AG Expert

Re: What do you love about the 86?

Postby Elvin Wes » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:42 am

Sort of lame, but the shifter boot, when i was young i always thought the shifter boot made the car.

over all, gotta love the entire chassis, the way it was made,whether coupe or hatch, the dashboard and the pop head lights scream "80's"

Toyo4ag
Club4AG Regular

Postby Toyo4ag » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Grant wrote:
grappletech wrote:I feel like I get into it for the first time, every time I get in it. No other car will do that

I couldn't have said it better.

Exactly how I feel. Never gets old. Love how the 4a begs for the revs.

Hyrev86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Hyrev86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:36 pm

kulitko wrote:I love my corolla because I built it from the ground up. I know every inch of my car. I know exactly what bolts were replaced, needs to get replaced and the places it needs bolts =) If that makes any sense. I love the smell of the oil burning, coolant leaking, tire burning, side mirror shaking, tie rods clunking, horn not working, check engine lighting, brake lights not working, privacy cover dropping, starter not starting and everything else in between.

I love that you can get stuck on the side of the freeway and just camp out till the tow truck gets there and eat a burrito with friends.

These things and experiences can never be bought. It is earned.

dont forget about the unique smell of the interior. that also can never be bought :mrgreen:

Takaaaa
Club4AG Regular

Postby Takaaaa » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:50 am

I love the look and how easy they are to work on/find parts for

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Takaaaa wrote:I love the look and how easy they are to work on/find parts for

John H.
Club4AG Expert

Postby John H. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Love how easy these things are to work on. Everyone says they are easy to work on but now I think I truly understand. Took one apart and put another one back together over the weekend. AE86 FTW!!!

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:29 pm

I love them because to me, its like driving a go-kart. I have never drove a car that felt the way that an AE86 felt when I was driving it, and I don't think that I can find anything else that is as much fun to drive.
I love the way that they look, the simplicity of the car, the fact that they still remain as a testament to a bygone era when Japanese sports cars were not these huge hunks of crap that roll off the assembly line anymore.

But most of all, I love the head turning.
The Honda fan boys offering me their civic, an x-box and cash for a car I wouldn't part with makes me laugh too. :D

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

An xbox? Thats absurd, typical honda playing with themselves while the real men work
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:40 am

morgan wrote:An xbox? Thats absurd, typical honda playing with themselves while the real men work

A good chunk of my deployment check was saved exclusively for my AE86.
I found a hatch in pretty good, (not great by any means) shape. It's an SR5 sure, but the body on it is perfectly straight. Very minimal rust, and still rocks an intact (mostly) USDM front end- which I don't mind.

I always get the following stupid remarks (and the answers I give)

Q. You going to drift it?
A. Yup, that's why I spent 4400 dollars on body work. (note the sarcasm)

Q. Why don't you put a 2JZ in it?
A. If your paying for it, the four banger is fine for me.

Q. How much do you want for it?
A. I won't sell it. I have dropped too much money into/on this thing to sell it for remotely what I put into it, and I have wanted an AE86 hatch since I was 12. I'm 26. Do the math.

Q. Is that an AE86?!
A. Nope, its a refrigerator.

I live in a place of many Honda boys, much retardation, and generally a lack of a clue on anything other then how to put on obnoxious mufflers, altezza tail lights and cutting springs.
Don't forget intakes. Honda boys love intakes.

Six1ohrollaz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Six1ohrollaz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 am

What I love about my ae86 the famous question when I stop somewhere "wanna sell that car?" It never fails..... My response you must be outa ur mind! Ohh and the exhaust note! I love how the 4AGE sounds nothing will ever compare! Love taking off early for work and hearing her rumble down my hill too the main ave outa my complex gotta love it!
current cars
85 corolla GT-S hb
81 corolla 2dr
after 12 TE/AE corollas this is what it's come down too

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Six1ohrollaz wrote:What I love about my ae86 the famous question when I stop somewhere "wanna sell that car?" It never fails..... My response you must be outa ur mind! Ohh and the exhaust note! I love how the 4AGE sounds nothing will ever compare! Love taking off early for work and hearing her rumble down my hill too the main ave outa my complex gotta love it!

The sound is nice, and as far as the offers to buy it I kinda have to give them a crazy stare with how much I have dumped into this thing

SolidSTI
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SolidSTI » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 am

When people ask me to sell it on the spot I just say, "Sure. Fourteen grand."

End of discussion. :D
ImageImageImageImage
1985 Corolla GT-S | 1985 Trueno Sprinter | 1989 Skyline GT-R | 2001 Prelude | 2005 STi | 2008 Forester XT| 1991 M923A1
http://TruFactsRacing.com

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:50 am

SolidSTI wrote:When people ask me to sell it on the spot I just say, "Sure. Fourteen grand."

End of discussion. :D

+1.

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toybrota » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:41 am

All the reasons have probably been said but for me it's the presence.
I just can't explain the bug. It's a feeling. (sort of the oh **** feeling most of the time lol)

But there are cool 80s cars for sure, but none have a presence and prestige like the 86.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm

I love the fact that my wife hated my 86...now that its been off the road for 2+ years for body work, I keep hearing "when will you be done with it? I want to take a ride in it. I don't care if you still don't have heat, ill bring a blanket, just get it on the road." very out of character for her, she doesn't like cars. yet, she bugging me to take a ride in my "deathtrap" as she's called it a few times.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Toybrota: Exactly.

Morgan: Greatest words uttered by my girlfriend when I showed her how mine will look after paint is done: "I like it honey, its cute!"

Followed there after with: You can have a second Toyota, but I get a horse.

:shock:

xhachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xhachiroku » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 pm

I like how it's a dude magnet lol jk...

EJ86
Club4AG Expert

Postby EJ86 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

:lol: Cheap registration. $89 for classic vehicle registration, no smog, but 5K mi/year.
-1985 Toyota Corolla GTS (2door)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/561054
-2004 Nissan Frontier (King Cab):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072528

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Actually when it comes time to register mine I am trying to get the antique vehicles plates.

knockoutcold
Club4AG Regular

Postby knockoutcold » Thu May 08, 2014 12:50 am

whats not to love about the ae86? I converted a long time Nissan nut in to an ae86 lover just by loaning my car to him while I was deployed. you know ae86's are awesome when you have nismo heads spinnin!!!
a bimmer driver once told me that my 4ag looked like a loaf of bread.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am

i love the simplicity and the balance of the car.
i had gone thru FD/FC/R33/GDB/CT9A and to be honest, the driving experience from the AE86 is one of a kind and very addictive.
The only thing that comes closed to an AE86 in driving experience is NA Miata.

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 pm

hmmm, what do i love about the 86?

the proportions of the body on both the coupe and the hatch are visually perfect, it feels natural when you look at it. i'm not sure if the golden ratio is at work here but i wouldn't be surprised if it was. it could be stock or slammed. oem or super wide body. hatch, coupe, trueno, levin, kouki, or zenki. shiny new paint, battle scared shogun (word to wu tang!) i seriously dig them all. and that's just looking at them.

when i drove mine for the first time, i had never driven anything else like it that was road legal. i've driven fwd, awd, rwd. sedans, coupes, wagons, vans (mini and full size). i've never had a huge grin from driving before. it's almost like my car was jacked into my brain: the feedback i got from the road handling to how it seemed like i telegraphed my thoughts back to the car through the steering wheel. i mean, this is an exaggeration for sure...but is it? it's a visceral experence i got - the awesome sound of the sad little 4ag screaming all the way to redline (but i'm only doing like 80 :lol: ), the smell of the exhaust leak, the creak of the tired bushings. all of it was my car talking to me.

since i've had her, she's gotten motors swapped in 3x, upgraded suspension, changed interiors from blue to black, had 3 different race seats (driver side), 5 different sets of wheels and tires, stiffened some chassis stuff, gone from open diff to lsd, broken down a few times, acted possessed when it wouldn't turn off, and sat for 2years in my grandma's garage untouched due to financial hardship (which i'm almost out of!). and i've got a ton of parts ready to put in to get her running again.

i should hate her, but i don't. clearly i'm insane. as are the nearly dozen or so friends i have that also have 86s here...

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Postby TORPARTS » Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am

I love it because I get allot pussy from hood rats!
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

The Robot Cow
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby The Robot Cow » Fri May 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Even a simple drive home just feels so damn good.
It's a car that you can actually daily, drive hard, take your girl out to dinner in, relax in, spend all your money on, get so mad at to the point you wanna roll it off a cliff. The size of the car just feels right to me. It's so simple to work on. Sure almost everything out there is putting down more hp(If you're running a stock bluetop like I am). It's been the worst experience of my life but i wouldn't have it any other way. I love every iteration of it(Zenki kouki, trueno levin, and yes coupe and hatch)
I love my ae86 and 4ag.
1985 Corolla Gts Coupe

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri May 09, 2014 2:45 pm

It's funny because I thought that this thread had long been dead. :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

MidnighT_T86

Postby MidnighT_T86 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Well as a been newb I feel inclined to do a introductionary post right? I mean its like an unspoken/spoken rule right? Anyway...Hello all been a lurker for few years but as it is time for me to finally obtain one of my dream vehicles creating a UN seemed fitting. Enough yappin my 2 favorite attributes about 86s are their handling capabilities and simple mechanical design.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 am

MidnighT_T86 wrote:Well as a been newb I feel inclined to do a introductionary post right? I mean its like an unspoken/spoken rule right? Anyway...Hello all been a lurker for few years but as it is time for me to finally obtain one of my dream vehicles creating a UN seemed fitting. Enough yappin my 2 favorite attributes about 86s are their handling capabilities and simple mechanical design.

Alright, welcome to the forum, man!
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

mideng
Club4AG Expert

Postby mideng » Fri May 23, 2014 5:10 pm

TORPARTS wrote:I love it because I get allot pussy from hood rats!

same here....hood rats luv curoolas! LOL

GEOVA TRD
Club4AG Expert

Postby GEOVA TRD » Sat May 24, 2014 1:04 pm

It is a car that was way ahead of its time when they were released and also in the 80's and also 90's their wasn't another car that could look this BADA$$ in a photo,parked or just rolling down da street!

Sure do miss it! :cry:

MidnighT_T86

Postby MidnighT_T86 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Clouds wrote:
MidnighT_T86 wrote:Well as a been newb I feel inclined to do a introductionary post right? I mean its like an unspoken/spoken rule right? Anyway...Hello all been a lurker for few years but as it is time for me to finally obtain one of my dream vehicles creating a UN seemed fitting. Enough yappin my 2 favorite attributes about 86s are their handling capabilities and simple mechanical design.

Alright, welcome to the forum, man!

Thx man I appreciate and feel the love.