questions on running exposed cam gears

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

questions on running exposed cam gears

Postby jrae82 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Okay I'm going to replace my headgasket . I'm thinking of leaving the cam gears completely exposed. Meaning no front covers and timing backing plate.
How are u guys going about doings this?

Searched but couldn't find any detail procedure.

The only method I can think of is setting the timing with the timing backing plate on. After timing is set. Remove cam gears and remove the backing plate then reassemble.

Really appreciate the feedback

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: questions on running exposed cam gears

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Check out the FSM for the 4AGE. It'll be in there. I believe it'd be best to leave those on there and just buy a clear timing belt cover.

I'll buy one after I finish converting to a manual steering rack and installing a new oem exhaust manifold with a mandrel bent exhaust. It'll be a 4-1 exhaust utilizing the oem manifold.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:50 am

I would agree with ZINCHOTRAN. The covers are there for a reason. A clear timing cover would give you that look without letting road debris in. It's up to you though. ;)

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrae82 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks I understand some of the concerns but I've ran exposed cam gears on various cars and had no bad experience. Its just idk if there is a method or tricks in removing the timing back plate on the 4age. I can run exposed cams but that back plate still looks ugly lol

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

jrae82 wrote:Thanks I understand some of the concerns but I've ran exposed cam gears on various cars and had no bad experience. Its just idk if there is a method or tricks in removing the timing back plate on the 4age. I can run exposed cams but that back plate still looks ugly lol

no tricks needed... 5 or 6 6mm bolts hold the plate to both the head and the block

Remove the plate and paint it(coat it) in a color that either compliments, or contrasts with whatever your chosen timing pulley color is
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrae82 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Yea I think I'm just gonna eliminate complete. Just the cams and belt. I'll post a pic how it comes out.