Macco or equivalent paint jobs.

Hindi
Club4AG Regular

Macco or equivalent paint jobs.

Postby Hindi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 am

Howdy club4ag,

My levin coupe gtsr5 is in dire need of some exterior lovin, and in my search for a respray, macco was recommended.
I'm contemplating a higher end macco paint job in the original silver color. It is only a driver, so I'm not expecting perfection.

If you have any pictures of, or tips for a macco or equivalent paint job please post them here. I'd love to see or hear what ever you may have.

This is the car.

Thanks guys!

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Re: Macco or equivalent paint jobs.

Postby SidekickChuck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

I have had cheap paint jobs and also have fairly expensive paint jobs. All I can say is, the cheap stuff is so thin, and the clear coat is so thin that it becomes more of a nuisance and ends up being more work trying to keep it from peeling, chipping, or getting damaged by environmental factors.

I am not suggesting paying $6k for paint, but if you want a decent paint job, that is strong enough to take daily driving, and not chip from the smallest piece of road debris, you might want to consider paying a little more to get a much better job done.

Alternatively, if you do all the prep work and prime and block it, and simply have them spray it, the results will be much better than just dropping off the car. I have heard that they are so tight with materials, that each person is only allowed to use one piece of sandpaper to prep the surface. Its things like this that would steer me away from painting a car there.

I have had 2 low cost paint jobs over the years, and I can say that it was a waste of money. You end up regretting getting it done, and wished that you would have used that money towards a better paint job.

Just food for thought from experience

Chuck
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Hindi
Club4AG Regular

Postby Hindi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 am

In your opinion, what should I look for when I try looking for a paint shop? I'm really not wanting a show car style paint job, just something that is relatively durable and looks decent. I plan on removing the old green paint and keeping the original paint as a base, fixing the dings and pulling all of the trim and lights, taping off the rear window seal with string underneath to hold the seal off of the body of the car, then priming the car with an epoxy and a 2k urethane, then wet sanding that smooth. I'm just more or less wanting whom ever painting it to spray the base and clear in an originalish silver color.

rollacpe
Club4AG Regular

Postby rollacpe » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:00 am

Hindi,

You ever consider wrapping it in vinyl?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VVIVID8-Black-Diamond-vinyl-vehicle-wrap-100ft-x-5ft-decal-free-car-wrap-kit-/231237966256?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d6db59b0&vxp=mtr

something like this^

cost effective and durable...

Just a suggestion,
rollacpe

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:07 pm

SidekickChuck wrote:I have heard that they are so tight with materials, that each person is only allowed to use one piece of sandpaper to prep the surface.

Damn how can you prep a car with 1 piece? I'm prepping mine for a full respray and i already went through $100 worth of sandpaper.
rollacpe wrote:Hindi,

You ever consider wrapping it in vinyl?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VVIVID8-Black-Diamond-vinyl-vehicle-wrap-100ft-x-5ft-decal-free-car-wrap-kit-/231237966256?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d6db59b0&vxp=mtr

something like this^

cost effective and durable...

Just a suggestion,
rollacpe

A good vinylwrap will almost cost as much as a paintjob, might aswell do it right the first time and paint it.
FLAWLESS VICTORY