7AG build thread!

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:47 am

thought id start a thread for my work in progress 7AG 20v, so far I've acquired a set late model Formula Atlantic throttle bodies(a friend of mine has developed an adapter for the 20v head!), VVT cam gear for the blacktop head, soon im getting my hands on some new cams! hope this build will pan out the way i want it :D
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Sierra Nevada foothills

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby sirdeuce » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:08 pm

OH BOY!! Another 7AGE! I'll be watching this one.

I will ask why you went with the 20v head though. A lot do, but I've found the big port does as well, if not better. Having the 20v moniker is more an ego than necessity. Each to his own.

I have a couple of suggestions, right off the bat. The 4AGE oil pump and the 7AFE block oil galley interface is a tad off. Need a late 4AFE pump gasket and port match the holes or live with a restriction at the block.
And the other is to get the MRP girdle and studs. Can find it at "Battle Garage"(I'm taking for grated you reside in the U.S.A.). It's a bit pricey, but well wort it! A plus is being able to use the stamp steel 4AGE oil pan. Helps with the exhaust clearance issues under the block.
Another thing is to relocate the starter to the intake side of the engine. A 7AFE starter and backing plate do well enough, you don't NEED to source a 20v 4AGE starter and backing plate.

Just my 3 "must dos" for a 7AGE. I was able to use the stock exhaust with the steel pan and relocating the starter, I live in California and stock equipment keeps the Nazis happy.
One shot, one kill.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 am
Location: Oxford U.K

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby totta crolla » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:01 am

Really helpful advice for someone.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Sierra Nevada foothills

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby sirdeuce » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:08 pm

totta crolla wrote:Really helpful advice for someone.


Isn't that why we are here?
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Sierra Nevada foothills

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby sirdeuce » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:31 pm

With that in mind, anybody thinking of using ladder caps should consider the MRP girdle. Nice piece! Even in a 4AGE.
One shot, one kill.

User avatar
oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2188
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:35 am

Another not a fan for a 7AG 20V, the intake valves are too small, compared to a fully ported big valve largeport head.

also the TRD F/A ITBs don't require an adapter for use on a largeport head. I wouldn't want to see the air flow disruption with an adapter that goes from the long wide TRD ITB to the oddly shaped 20V port. To be honest if running the 20V head, run the 20V throttles.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Sierra Nevada foothills

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby sirdeuce » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:53 pm

Unless you're building a full race engine the 7AGE does best with a mild to moderate small port head. An all out build is better with the large port. The 20v is mostly posturing.

Either way the 7A has become my favorite overall engine for my little cars.

Eagerly waiting to see where this build goes.
One shot, one kill.

jinx
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby jinx » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:21 pm

odd enough MRP chose a stock 20V head/oe cam on his 440hp 7AG beast. Hit a 'wall' with oem valvesprings iirc.

RollaChriz 550+hp street 7AG thru a stock 16V head/oe cam. So ya never know with these heads, until 'performance' tested
Obviously both boosted tho. A TON of n.a. 7AG builds documented & dyno'd on the web. Dunno how much info still up

From memory, RollaChriz did break his ladder caps... but I'd think that's a lotta stress on that poor li'l motor

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:44 am

sirdeuce wrote:OH BOY!! Another 7AGE! I'll be watching this one.

I will ask why you went with the 20v head though. A lot do, but I've found the big port does as well, if not better. Having the 20v moniker is more an ego than necessity. Each to his own.

I have a couple of suggestions, right off the bat. The 4AGE oil pump and the 7AFE block oil galley interface is a tad off. Need a late 4AFE pump gasket and port match the holes or live with a restriction at the block.
And the other is to get the MRP girdle and studs. Can find it at "Battle Garage"(I'm taking for grated you reside in the U.S.A.). It's a bit pricey, but well wort it! A plus is being able to use the stamp steel 4AGE oil pan. Helps with the exhaust clearance issues under the block.
Another thing is to relocate the starter to the intake side of the engine. A 7AFE starter and backing plate do well enough, you don't NEED to source a 20v 4AGE starter and backing plate.

Just my 3 "must dos" for a 7AGE. I was able to use the stock exhaust with the steel pan and relocating the starter, I live in California and stock equipment keeps the Nazis happy.


no particular reason, just whats currently available to me! ill take note of the issue with the oil pump and the advice on the starter, thanks for the info
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:49 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:Another not a fan for a 7AG 20V, the intake valves are too small, compared to a fully ported big valve largeport head.

also the TRD F/A ITBs don't require an adapter for use on a largeport head. I wouldn't want to see the air flow disruption with an adapter that goes from the long wide TRD ITB to the oddly shaped 20V port. To be honest if running the 20V head, run the 20V throttles.


yeah some friends have told me that its a bad idea, but i wanted to do something a little different, chances are ill swap back to my S/T throttles and use the FA throttles on a less serious engine.
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 pm

been slowly gathering parts..

so far i have some cams, and a whole rotating assembly. my cylinder head needs some work so im sending it into a machine shop soon. so i was thinking i might as well have my exhaust and intake ports shaved and polished too, does anyone have any advice about this? theres nothing in the TRD bible about 20v heads other than part numbers.
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

User avatar
oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2188
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:40 pm

Kuromi_loves_toyota wrote:been slowly gathering parts..

so far i have some cams, and a whole rotating assembly. my cylinder head needs some work so im sending it into a machine shop soon. so i was thinking i might as well have my exhaust and intake ports shaved and polished too, does anyone have any advice about this? theres nothing in the TRD bible about 20v heads other than part numbers.



I've been known to work 20V heads, here are 2 recent examples:
https://gallery.ostportworks.com/thumbn ... ?album=103
https://gallery.ostportworks.com/thumbn ... ?album=112
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:09 am

sick! ill definitely use your work as reference material, if you dont mind could i send you a private message about a commission?
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

User avatar
oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2188
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am

Kuromi_loves_toyota wrote:sick! ill definitely use your work as reference material, if you dont mind could i send you a private message about a commission?

sure....
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:07 am

some things came up, I haven't been focusing on my engine build as much, but i have gotten some other stuff done! removed the seam sealer and stitch welded my engine bay, I also ordered a Flo's chassis reinforcement kit and I'm gonna be welding that up tomorrow! I've also got some suspension components on the way, Cusco control arms and tension rods as well as a Nagisa auto equal length 4 link kit.

furthermore, in the time I haven't been focusing on my engine, I've considered switching directions with my build, I'm currently looking into CBYs 5.5AG stroker, and if its not possible to get my hands on one of those, ill probably go with MRPs kit.
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

User avatar
oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2188
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:28 pm

one problem with stroker kits, you tend to lose crankshaft strength because you lose journal overlap.

Image
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Re: 7AG build thread!

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:54 am

ill have to do some more research on this, thank you for the information. is there anything else i should know? i still havent made the decision which route im going with my engine. my main reason for looking into a 5.5AG was maintaining a square engine and lower consecutive ratios. i want my engine to be as reliable as possible so keeping piston speeds down is one of my priorities.
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER